1890sIf you like this site, please consider making a donation to keep it online:
Copper Country Hockey History, choose time...
|1890's A sport still called polo was being played locally, but was played on ice also; they called it ice polo.||
1890 A covered ice rink was constructed in Laurium, and another was constructed later, but neither would be suitable for hockey as both had poles in the middle of the ice surface.
January 1898 "The game of hockey
was introduced into Houghton last Friday evening by a game between two teams
from Dollar Bay...the conditions were rather unfavorable, the ice being soft and
the light dim in places. Then the posts down the center of the rink
bothered the players considerable, but as the place was not built for the game
it couldn't be helped..." Quoted from the Daily Mining Gazette (DMG) newspaper article
dated January 13, 1898. "The Place" he referred to was a building that
came to be known as The Palace, the first enclosed playing surface in the
area. Lake Superior Smelting Works owned the Ripley building but had
recently stopped operations. It was located on the East side of the Portage Lake
draw-bridge (just East of the current bridge; towards Dollar Bay.) The
Quincy Excelsior Band was on hand for that first game to "liven things
up". Games in those days were played in 20 minute halves with a 10 minute
intermission. There were only seven players to a team and the goalies wore no
pads. Officials used a brass bell instead of a whistle and the goal judge stood
behind the net. (Ripley and Dollar Bay are located on the North side of the Portage
Lake shipping canal, across the canal from Houghton, East of Hancock.)
Members of those first two teams were:
WHITE TEAM POSITION RED TEAM
L. Fissette Goal B. Wagner
N. Rogers Point A. Penberthy
B. Kitto Cover Point F. Fernette
H. Rosberg Center W. Middlemiss
S. McGrath Cen. For. M. McGrath
G. Williams Rt. Wing T. Glendening
E. Yates Left Wing H. Yates
|1899 The Portage Lake ice hockey team formed; they
played hockey at the Palace Rink in Ripley, located on the shore of Portage Lake in the
Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Members of the 1899 team included Wallie
Washburn, Doc Gibson at Cover Pt, Delaney at Point, Doc Willson at Rt Wing,
Potter at Lt Wing, Rowe at Forward and Haller at Rover.
web page is still being researched and is still under construction!
So check back often!
webmaster if you have any
suggestions/corrections/additions/questions about this web page.